Saturday, January 15, 2011

The dinner party movement!

Are you tired of dining out and blowing $60 - $100.00 a pop for casual dining?

Are you tired of meeting with friends or family at crowded restaurants only to sit next to two people the whole time and only have conversation with only them or worse...

Tired of going to really loud restaurants where you can't hear anything anyone is saying?

How about being rushed through a dining process? Arrive, be seated, order drinks, order food, eat food, pay, and "get out".

Well, I'm certainly tired of having to order LARGE portioned meals and paying for it.

Hosting dinner parties is the answer! Once a week or every two weeks depending on a persons lifestyle, we should be hosting a dinner party! In return friends and family will send a reciprocal invite and there is your quality entertainment, variety of foods, a chance to show off awesome bargain decor just like women (and men) used to do and socialize. Not mention skip a night of cooking, cleaning, and spending when going to a dinner party. Of course it is polite to offer clean-up help.

I didn't have to be sold on the idea because I love to host! However, I have a lot to learn. I've found some great sites with tips to help plan and eliminate hosting anxieties.

http://www.celebrations.com/dinnerparties
I know it may be easier for some than others, especially if you can't cook or don't know how to cook for a lot of people. What better time to learn?! A huge pot of easy stew or chili on a cold day will suffice and offer a great way to be creative (if desired) with an age-old meal. The budget for either meal to feed 10 people is about $20.00. Tell me where two families can go for $20.00?

I'm expecting more people to jump on board because this is a no-brainer!

7 comments:

Allison Kennedy said...

Sounds good to me. Count us in.

kendall said...

sounds awesome! I'm not much of a hostess.... so I'll just be coming to your house weekly for dinner and decorating ideas.

bev paxman said...

I love, love, love this! This concept was huge in the 50s - 70s.... sometimes I think that I was born too late. My mom was the ultimate hostess for holidays and dinner parties. My friends used to tease me and call her mrs. Gourmet hostess. I collect vintage recipe books from that era.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this idea! A yummy meal I don't have to make? I'm in! Maybe I will start one in UTAH!

Unknown said...

Oh please do! everyone is screaming "recession" but no one has really cut back. I think I'll even have a "stone soup" theme one night. Only problem is, who shall I invite first?

Mimaw said...

Back in the 80's, for about 5-6 years Boyd and I and (2) other couples had a monthly dinner club. We would rotate homes. Whoever hosted did the ENTIRE thing and invited a 4th couple of their choice (usually a neigbor we all knew or a ward coule) About 1-2 times a year we would have all the children join. It was fabulous. Trying out new recipes, we didn't get too involved in decorations unless we did a "How to Host a Murder" those were great fun also. I miss them, but not enough to organize them again!! Have fun. Oh, btw, Bev said you were a fabulous cook and would be having us all over for dinner every evening we are there visiting - hahahahahahahah!! jk

Unknown said...

My MIL is too kind! Of course I will cook for you guys. Let me know what you like and I'll make it. Southern? Mediterranean? Experimental? (Experimental is my favorite. That's the reason I kept feeding the missionaries last year. Wayland couldn't figure it out.) Can't wait to see you guys.